Guilford PTA-Special Education Committee
What is the Guilford PTA-SEC – Special Education Committee?
The Guilford PTA-SEC, Special Education Committee, is a town-wide committee focused on educational issues and concerns with goals to help empower parents as advocates for their children through education, training and networking. This committee is:
- Established in January 2008
- A Committee of the Guilford PTA
- District-wide group focused on educational issues and concerns which can include speech, occupational and physical therapy, life skills, behavior intervention, parent education, etc.
- Not individual school specific
GPTA-SEC: Goals & Initiatives
- To empower parents
- To advocate for our children – fostering the spirit of inclusion in academic, social and recreational settings
- To network – providing a forum in which to share information and experiences
- To educate and provide parent training – with engaging speakers on what you need to know as a parent of a child with special-needs
In a short period of time, the Guilford PTA – Special Education Committee has achieved a number of accomplishments. Here are just a few:
- In January 2008 created an organization under the Guilford PTA offering parents a place to meet and network with similar interests and concerns about special education.
- Have offered a number of professional workshops to train parents in topics such as: Understanding the federal special education law IDEA -- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act; IEP Goals 101; What to do When You Disagree; Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports; Developing Positive Relationships between Parents and Schools; Strategies and Accommodations for Children with Learning Disabilities and/or Attention Difficulties, Understanding Evaluations and SRBI (Scientifically Research-Based Intervention).
- Successfully lobbied with the Board of Education to have a full-time certified speech and language pathologist in every school building including the Pre-K.
- Successfully lobbied with the Board of Education to provide a multi-sensory, systematic, comprehensive and explicit reading program for children with special needs at every level.
- Worked towards improvements to the Extended School Year (ESY).
- Organized an annual forum with our local politicians to answer important questions about disability laws that affect our children
Click link for GPTA-SEC recommended resources: GPTA-SEC Resources
For more information or questions, please contact the GPTA-SEC co-chairs:
Kim Beckett, (203) 453-9957, firstname.lastname@example.org
Events & Announcements
SuperKids Flyer & Oct. 26th Forum
6:30 - 8:00 PM
Police Staion Community Room
GPTA-Special Education Comm.
April 27, 2010 7:15pm-9:00pm